A fireball erupted from a burst gas pipeline outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring 145 people as it burned for several hours before being extinguished. The national oil company Petronas said the blaze started at one of its gas pipelines outside Kuala Lumpur. The inferno sent flames 20 storeys high and left a crater near a residential area, damaging 190 houses and 148 vehicles.
Over 140 People Injured in Explosion
Health Minister Dzulkefly Ahmad reported that 145 people, including three children, were injured. 67 people were being treated at public hospitals, mostly for second and third-degree burns, while 37 others sought treatment from clinics and private hospitals.
State news agency Bernama reported 41 patients had since been discharged. All hospitalized victims were in stable condition, being treated for burns, injuries, and respiratory problems.
Residents Describe Terrifying Experience
Residents reported feeling a strong tremor before the explosion. Lee Weng Ken, whose left leg was burned, told Bernama that his house ceiling collapsed. “I rushed out but fell and suffered burns due to the heat from the blaze.”
Another victim, Andy, described running from his home with his children when they felt tremors. “My 18-year-old daughter injured her foot when she fell while climbing the fence due to the heat.”
Safety Zone Established Around Blast Site
Investigations are underway, and homes within 290 metres of the site remain off limits. Selangor state chief minister Amirudin Shari stated: “The two residential areas will remain closed until thorough checks ensure it is safe for residents to return home.”
A preliminary report on the incident will be ready within 72 hours.
Government and Petronas Pledge Support
Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim visited affected residents and announced financial aid. The government and Petronas will be responsible for repairing damaged homes, which could take months.
Residents with partially damaged homes will receive 2,500 ringgit (approximately $530) each, while those with destroyed houses will receive 5,000 ringgit ($1,060).
Pipeline Now Secured
Petronas Gas Berhad confirmed the pipeline had been isolated and the fire contained by 4:00 PM Tuesday. The company is “working closely with all relevant parties to ensure the safety of the community, environment, and security of gas supply.”
Three nearby petrol stations temporarily closed as a precaution have resumed operations following safety assessments.
“Our priorities are ensuring people’s safety, assisting those impacted and preserving gas supply whilst we investigate the cause,” Petronas said in its statement.